Demi-permanent hair color is a hair dye that is not permanent and does not contain ammonia.
When it comes to hair colors, there are three types; permanent, semi-permanent, and demi-permanent.
Semi-permanent hair dye is an ammonia-free hair dye that coats your hair strands and can withstand about eight shampoos.
Permanent hair dye contains ammonia and enters your hair, allowing longer-lasting color.
Demi-permanent hair color, therefore, lies between semi-permanent and permanent hair dye. It is a hair color that contains an ammonium-free formula penetrating under your hair’s outer cuticle.
Demi-permanent hair dye lasts longer than semi-permanent hair color but not as long as permanent hair dye.
Table of Contents
- How long does semi-permanent hair color last?
- What is the best time to use demi-permanent hair color?
- Benefits of demi-permanent hair color
- Which hair types does demi-permanent hair color work with?
- Difference between Demi-permanent and semi-permanent color
- Removing demi-permanent hair color
- What are the best at-home demi-permanent color kits?
- 1) Shrine Drop It hair color kit
- 2) Kristin Ess Signature Hair Gloss
- 3) Davines Alchemic Conditioner
- 4) Good Dye Young semi-permanent hair color
- 5) Oribe Root Touchup spray
- 6) IGK Permanent color kit
- 7) Hally color cloud
- 8) Color wow root cover-up
- 9) Manic Panic Amplified Formula
- 10) Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing color crème
How long does semi-permanent hair color last?
Demi-permanent hair color can last between 12 to 14 shampoo washes before it completely fades out.
What is the best time to use demi-permanent hair color?
Demi-permanent color is used when you have gray strands of hair.
Applying enough dye to gray strands makes them look like blended highlights, but it won’t cover the grays fully.
If you want a shade that lasts longer than semi-permanent color, you should use demi-permanent hair color.
Benefits of demi-permanent hair color
- Unlike permanent hair colors, which open up more, demi-permanent dyes open the hair cuticles less.
- Demi-permanent dyes make gray strands look like blended highlights, thus enhancing natural color.
- The dye starts fading out after 6-8 weeks.
- It only contains deposits of ammonia, and they have a pleasant smell.
- It is mixed with a low-volume developer.
Which hair types does demi-permanent hair color work with?
Demi-permanent dyes work for all hair types since it does not entirely change the color of the mane.
However, if you want to lighten your hair, don’t go for demi-permanent dye but semi-permanent dye.
Difference between Demi-permanent and semi-permanent color
- Semi-permanent hair color is short-lived because the color stays on the surface of the hair strand, while demi-permanent color penetrates the first layer of your mane, thus blending gray highlights and lasting longer.
- Demi-permanent color lasts up to 30 washes, while semi-permanent color lasts up to 5.
- Semi-permanent color does not require a developer and is applied on freshly washed hair, while demi-permanent color requires a developer.
Removing demi-permanent hair color
There are various home remedies for the removal of hair dye.
The remedies include; apple cider vinegar, clarifying shampoo, Vitamin C, and baking soda.
1) White Vinegar
White vinegar helps to remove the dye because of its acidity.
Vinegar causes the color to fade but won’t erase the dye.
2) Clarifying Shampoo
You can also use a clarifying shampoo a few times daily to accelerate the fading process. The shampoo strips your hair of all products and makes the color fade quickly.
When choosing a clarifying shampoo, ensure it’s not written color-safe since that type of shampoo is used to protect and preserve the color.
It would be best if you also conditioned your mane every time you wash it to reduce damage and weak hair.
3) Vitamin C
Another demi-permanent dye removal remedy is vitamin C. It lightens your hair dye by a shade or two, but it won’t return your hair color to its natural color.
You can crush Vitamin C tablets and mix them with clarifying shampoo to have a great dye removal solution.
4) Baking Soda
Baking soda is more effective in removing semi-permanent dyes but fades demi-permanent dyes a little.
A small portion of baking soda is mixed with a small amount of water. Then, let it settle in your mane for about 15 to 20 minutes and rinse your hair.
Removing hair color from your hair can be confusing, so if you are afraid you might end up damaging your hair, you should visit a salon.
What are the best at-home demi-permanent color kits?
To avoid hair bleaching disasters at home, here are some of the best demi-permanent hair color kits;
These hair color kits come in 24 shades.
The number of formula drops used depends on the hair color you’re beginning with; add the drops to a hair conditioner and customize them to the color you want.
The Kristin Ess Hair Gloss comes in 12 shades.
It boosts your hair color shininess and also leaves it feeling extra healthy.
It has a shiny alkaline neutralizing system that adds a layer of protection, preventing hard water minerals from being deposited in your hair and scalp.
It contains six temporary shades.
The six shades fade slowly after each shampoo wash.
Therefore, the longevity of the hair color depends on your hair’s health and the shade you choose.
This hair color is effective for every hair type.
It provides a shade that lasts up to 4 to 6 weeks.
It comes in magenta, gold, peach, and teal colors.
This hair color is best for covering grays and roots without a full dye.
It comes in various shades; light brown, platinum, red, blonde and black.
It’s favorable to all hair types.
The touchup spray contains a quick-drying powder formula that absorbs oil and dirt.
This hair color is permanent, and it ensures the increase of the shine level.
In addition, the formula leaves your hair feeling softer and smoother.
It comes in 6 shades; atomic blonde, lavender avalanche and many more.
The atomic blonde and lavender avalanche are simple to apply, do not leave a mess, and washes out in 4 to 6 weeks.
It has a pressed powder that comes in 8 shades, is free of waxes and dyes, and contains the texture of real hair.
It is the best option if you want to keep your hair color for a long time.
It is not cruel to your hair and scalp. It’s vegan too.
It is available in 45 shades so everyone has a color to choose from.
In addition, it’s blended with avocado, anti-inflammatory coconut oils, and Shea butter.